HistoryEditDodge accidentally found it in the basement inside a glass of jam with "Black Currents" written on it (a pun by Rendell to hint at its location).
The shadow key opens a door in the basement which leads to the "Chamber of Living Shadows," a room that contains candles and the Crown of Shadows on a stone pillar. Once the key is used on the door, the key starts to glow like a candle (it does not appear to generate heat, however, as Dodge still used matches to light the candles inside the cave). By putting the key on the crown it is activated. If the user then puts it on their head, all shadows around him including his own come to life in different shapes. It is unknown how the shadows gain the form they take, but it appears that the user's shadow gives hint to his personality (for example Dodge having a wolf and Tyler, with Rendell, having centurions). If the user is skilled with the usage of the Crown, they can "wear" shadows and take on a certain shadow-like appearance. The user can also merge with also the shadows to become a gigantic shadow entity, increasing their height, strength, and stamina.
- Main article: Crown of Shadows (Object)
Wearing the shadow crown gives control of the shadows in the Cave of Living Shadows. The shadows may some times be reluctant, but are always faithful to the wearer.
The shadows brought to life by the crown seem to be unique to each person.
|Benjamin Locke||Mythological creatures, including Medusa, The Minotaur, goblins and others.|
|Kinsey Locke||Kinsey's Fear|
|Bode Locke||Peter Pan|
|Lucas Caravaggio/Zack Wells||Wolf|
|Dodge (Netflix)||Humanoid Shadows|
|Ian Locke||Moon Wizard|
Known Shadows Edit
"O Wycked Night! Damn'd be Crais & Damn'd be the Redcoats & Damn'd be my own foole self. Miranda tis griev'sly hurt & lingers in the thaishold of deth! the Redcoats pursued her & the tatter'd remnants of Crais's companie into the caves but I drove them bach wit the aide of the lyving shadows. If she dies I wouldst rather be a shadow myself than remain in thys diabollicall world, knowing she wouldst never have been at riske if not for me!"
- Israel Skelton, founder of Skelton Crew Studios (the company that makes the official licence replicas of the Keys) stated in an interview that the Shadow Key was his favorite Key.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows #3, "Last Light". February 17, 2010
- ↑ Locke & Key: Clockworks #4, "The Whispering Iron". February 1, 2012
- ↑ Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows #4, "Shadow Play". March 17, 2010
- ↑ Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom #4, "Casualties". January 9, 2011
- ↑ IDW's LOCKE & KEY Comes To Life With Skelton Props